Monday, April 18, 2016

Hans Kleefeld (1929-2016)


German-born Canadian designer Hans Kleefeld died earlier this year. He was a prolific designer in the 60s and 70s, designing many memorable trademarks for Canadian companies. Most of his professional work was performed at the Toronto-based firm Stewart & Morrison. After leaving S&M he would go into teaching his craft at the Ontario College of Art.

Here follows a compilation of trademarks designed by Kleefeld while at Stewart & Morrison. A few of these, like the Toronto Zoo and Bank of Montreal marks, are still used today in some form. Others are long forgotten.



Fulford Dodds was a Canadian pharmaceutical company, of which very little can be found on the Internet. This was apparently a symbol for their "Baby's Own" line of products. (1961)


The most well-known of Kleefeld's early projects was arguably the 1964 redesign of Air Canada. You can read more about it here.


The Brewers' Warehousing Co was some sort of retail organisation. They used this abstract trademark.


This mark for the International Public Relations Association was design with art director Robert Fraser.


The Toronto-based Copp Clark Publishing Company still exists and now operates as a subsidiary of Pearson. This trademark was create for them in the mid-60s.


The Bank of Montreal mark was designed by Kleefeld with E. J. Morrison acting as art director.


The Maritime Telegraph and Telephone Company was the telephone company for Nova Scotia. In the mid-60s, they adopted this monogram.


This connected S was used by a company called Stancor.


The Expo 67 was held in Montreal as that year's world's fair. Kleefeld designed this symbol for the province of Ontario to use at its pavilion during the exhibition.


In 1969, Air Jamaica adopted this hummingbird mark designed by Kleefeld. It's the only mark on this list that was designed for a non-Canadian company.


Vickers & Benson was an ad agency founded way back in 1924. This mark was adopted in the late '60s or early '70s. The agency changed its name to Arnold Worldwide Canada in 2003.


Trademark designed for Fairfield & Dubois, an architectural firm in Toronto.


Kleefeld's most widely used trademark is probably this monogram, originally created for the Toronto Dominion Bank, used at around 2,500 branch offices in Canada and the US.


This is probably Kleefeld most revered symbol if you ask graphic designer. It was created for the Toronto Zoo and continues to thrive.


Another logo with some longevity was this modular wordmark created for Inco, the International Nickel Company. Brazilian mining company Vale acquired Inco in 2007 and the Inco mark was retired after that.


A symbol for Scarborough Town Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment